Sunday, March 26, 2006

Settimana 9 en Roma

Hi,

Well this week has certainly had its ups and downs.

I received an excellent crit from a visiting professor from the DC
program. She gave me some really good advice: purposely try to make
mistakes and make as many as I can. She told me to leave my field of
vision wide open until next fall when its time to take all that I
learned from my mistakes and narrow down my thesis work. When many of
my critiques thus far have been the exact opposite, it definately
lifted a huge weight.

Its hard and scary to say that I don't know what I'm doing, but it
feels right. So I'm going to try to start exploring outside of the
boundaries of my skills and knowledge.

Other news, I visited St. Peters for several hours this week. Just
prior to getting there I was caught in a flashing hail storm with
hailstones the size of large peas. It was insane! There was
lightning all around, rain and hail pouring down, and by the time it
was all said and done, it looked like it had snowed and the streets
were temporarily flooded.

Of course, St. Peter's was a fabulous refuge from the brutal weather
outside. It's one of the few places on earth that I really feel
insignificant. Its absolutely huge! It seems like you are surrounded
by an ocean of marble, stone, and light.

This week has really been more of a time of reflection and trying to
figure "life and art" out. I guess its been spurred on by my upcoming
birthday and the visiting artist. All I can say is, I'm still
thinking.

Jenny