Sunday, March 05, 2006

Rome week 6

Well This week, I had my first critique, which went really well. I
feel like my work is now heading in a clear direction these days. I'm
falling in love with oil paint again, after a long absence. I'm
enjoying the luxury of studio time. Though I find I do still do best
at night.

During art history we toured Castel St. Angelo. Originally meant to
be Hadrian's Mausoleum. It was later turned into the defense fortress
of the Vatican. There are now grotesque paintings in Castel St.
Angelo. The style of Grotesque was first discovered in Nero's Golden
Palace in the 15th century after people had dug under some baths built
by Trajan. They are these flowery, linear designs with morphing of
humans, creatures, and flora.

Spring break is coming up, my friends Nathan and Valerie will be
coming to visit. We will be going to paestum, an ancient Greek Temple
of Hera site on the Amalfi coast. I'm a little scared, since we will
be renting a car, and I KNOW how Italians drive.

Well, it was sort of a "short" week, alot of time spent in the studio,
so I will leave you all with a breather. :D Hope all is well with
you back home. Take care. Would love to hear from all of you.

Jenny

--
I want to live my life not by the regret of "what if", but by its
possibilities. -ME

What lies behind us and what lies before us are nothing compared to
what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson